Prior to the zombie outbreak, Blades was a member of an outlaw motorcycle gang. When the undead apocalypse occurred, he and his gang became nomadic, moving around from place to place and looting for supplies. He was armed with various knives, a machete and a katana sword, he also had a small flick knife that was actually a moustache comb. Despite Blades' affinity for knives, he did also own a firearm like many other members of the biker gang. Blades would use his firearm to shoot zombies or people who were beyond the range of his knives. Blades first appears near the end of Dawn of the Dead when he and his gang discover the mall and figure out that there are people holed up inside. During the assault on the mall, he survived the initial attack, and engaged Peter and Stephen in a gunfight. He almost caught Peter, who escaped into the ventilation shaft, prompting Blades to taunt Peter by shouting "I see you, chocolate man...!". Blades was seemingly killed when Peter shot him with his sniper rifle. The force of Peter's gunshot sent Blades over the railings of the upper level where he fell into a fountain on the lower level.
Land of The Dead Edit
Having presumably died in 'Dawn Of The Dead, he was shown as a zombie in Big Daddy's group. He was seen as the zombies are rampaging through the Fiddler's Green complex. He is shown slashing a man using his machete
- Blades may have survived the gunshot and the water from the fountain broke his fall, only to crawl to safety before bleeding to death, this would explain how he had zombified relatively intact in Land of the Dead. If he had of just laid where he had fallen, the zombies would have consumed his body.
- Blades was portrayed by Tom Savini.
- Blades was a member of the motorcycle gang that assaulted the mall in which the protagonists had fortified against the zombies. Given that he was leading the biker gang in the looting of the mall, it may be assumed that he was the #2 biker, or "top man" of Sledge, the gang leader.
- In the novelization of Dawn of the Dead, Blades' name is given as "Hatchet."
- His appearance in Land of the Dead, albeit brief, makes Blades the first recurring character in the George A. Romero 'Dead' series.